This week is #mentalhealthawarenessweek, the theme is kindness.
I have gathered my thoughts through experiences as to what I think Workplace Kindness ‘looks like’.
Firstly, kindness starts with you - being kind to yourself and acknowledging your own feelings daily.
Workplace Kindness is:
-Asking for help
-Saying no, when you feel overwhelmed.
- Understanding we are different and unique, our cultures, experiences, and upbringings shape us as people — no two people are the same, so, how can we possibly agree in everything or react in the same way.
- Saying hello
- Encouraging honest conversations
- Taking a long breathe, before you respond to a statement you feel is hurtful
- Sharing, and sharing an unexpected gift
- Respecting persons’ boundaries and their beliefs
Think of a packet of Smarties they may look different, some of us prefer the blue over the red, but under the surface we are all made from the same ingredients.
If we adopt and practice kindness daily, we create a wealth within our work environments, our enjoyment of work increases — who would not want this?
Orla Rafferty is an Executive Coach, HR consultant, specific to this posting, Orla is a specialist in dealing with workplace conflict and working relationships.
She can be followed on:
Facebook Orla Rafferty