You have been told you are at ‘risk of redundancy’.
*!!@* what does that mean!
Profanities fly out of your mouth when you talk to yourself! Hey, you don’t even swear!
You start to breathe fast, you need to sit down, you want to hide… you are feeling relieved you are not at work to face people.
Your thoughts rush to mortgage, car, credit card bills, childminding fees, direct debits.
Career plans are disappearing…
You feel helpless.
What can I do?
Please take time to digest this news — no one is expecting you to have answers or to know what your future holds:
- Seek help from your own employer, they should support you through this, if they offer assistance with counselling, career support ACCEPT it and USE it.
- You are entitled to time off work to seek alternative work, find out from your employer how much time is acceptable to them.
- Plan your days to allow for job searching
- A step in your prep work is to identify all the skills you have, write these down or create a spreadsheet. Consider three types of skills:
- Personal skills e.g. dedication, assertiveness, innovation
- Functional skills e.g. communication, organising, researching
- Technical skills e.g. data entry, IT skills, developing processes
This task can be the start of your job search journey, it will also let you see on paper what skills you have. We do underestimate our own skills, you will be surprised how many you do have.
This activity can help you in your search for suitable alternative work, you will discover how you can use these skills differently or transfer between jobs. If you are habouring a desire to work for yourself this is your chance! You could try something different!
Set one goal to achieve each day, if you find this difficult seek support from friends, family or work alongside someone else who is also job searching and be there for each other.
Remember this is a huge change, be kind to yourself and be your own best friend.
Orla Rafferty is an Executive Coach, HR consultant, specific to this posting has specialised experience in recruitment, selection and career coaching.
Facebook Orla Rafferty
Linkedin Orla Rafferty CIPD